Dirt Bike Riding 101 Having fun with your dirtbike ?
There are guides or instruction manuals on how to ride your dirt bike and this is not one of them. This is about how to have fun, and how to play on your dirt bike. For years I used dirt bike rides as a way to escape my JOB and all the frustrations and anger that my daily life with kids and family stuff brought on. I would go out to the track and take my anger and frustrations out on the track. I ride a little wild and out of control and I thought that was what having fun with the dirt bike was all about.
Recently, I have had experiences and gained knowledge which has caused me to have a fundamental shift in how much I fun I can have on the dirt bike and the fun level meter is off the charts. A change in attitude was everything, I remembered how I used to play when I was a kid.
- I was in the moment, whether at recess or at home what I was playing now was all the mattered.
- I let myself enjoy the moment, didn’t worry about how well I did, I just did it and cared less.
- I smiled and laughed.
When was the last time your were smiling and laughing on the bike. Loose the race face and smile. Let’s bullet point the new you riding and having fun.
- Smile and laugh on the bike. When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost fell off the bike?
- Be in the moment, the only time you have is present moment. The past is gone, over and done. The future just isn’t here yet. .
- Feel the moment, feel the movement of the bike as you ride. Absorb the bumps and shocks as the bike travels over the ground. As you lean over for the turn, feel the bike change as it goes through the turn. Observe how the bike moves.
- Slow down as take in the inputs as your body takes in the information the bike is giving it.
To enable your mind to relax and enjoy the ride. Do this before you ride.
- Unload the bike get your gear on, and do all the usual stuff that you forgot to do before you left home.
- Go sit in a chair, in your haul vehicle, or anywhere you can relax.
- Close your eyes.
- Breath in though the nose and out though the mouth. Do this till you empty your mind.
- In your mind’s eye, visualize your ride, if it’s a track/trail you have ridden before you can use memories of the last rides to help. Ride with a smile on your smile( ya you dummy, the helmet is on and nobody can see you smiling).
- Ride it in the way you WANT to ride it. As fast as you want to go and as well as you can.
When you have completed 3 laps(at least that is what works for me, your number may be different, yes it’s ok) now your ready. Start the bike, put her in gear and let’s ride. Oh ya don’t forget to turn the gas on and opening your eyes is usually recommended.
Ride a lap and then another, smile and be in moment.
Oh ya, reflect for a moment when you take the next break. You had more fun, rode better and maybe; if your into it; rode a little faster.
Go ride today. Ps. Bring a buddy.
THE DIRT BIKE GURU