As you get into dirt biking adventures and meet new people from the same world, you can find people talking about “Enduro” dirt bikes and races. This word means different from different terms because there are different types of terrain that you can find. The same goes for enduro races.
There are two types of races mainly, long-distanced races vs. short distanced races. The bikes used for long-distance terrain are usually termed as Enduro Dirt bike. It earned the name from the word “Endurance.” Undoubtedly, these races are typical, long, and have lots of variation to make things harder.
It is all about cross-country dirt bike race, but this word is used now and then as someone is riding off-road paths. It is mainly about rough roads that require skills and efforts. Any enduro dirt bike is made this way to provide adequate performance and power.
If you are wondering about the difference, you can easily find that the enduro vs. trail mountain bike has a significant difference in the terrain, which is less difficult. It might have a blurred line as if you are comparing enduro with trail dirt biking, but as you ride, you understand the difference.
On the other hand, the enduro word is usually referred to as a race. There are types of bikes which are used for this particular sport, so this is what you call enduro. In simple words, you can say that riding a long distance with a difficult train is enduro.
What’s Enduro Riding in a True Manner?
As we mentioned above, the Enduro term is used widely for several types of riding, but there are some key things that differentiate other kinds of races from enduro. The difference is easy to understand by looking at key traits of enduro vs. trail mountain bike riding.
The quality of enduro riding is:
- The race is going to be off-road, and there will be no official track. It is hard due to having off-road terrain, which can’t be done on a normal trail bike.
- If you compare the difference between the trail riding track to the on-road track, the distance is significantly higher and difficult to complete.
- These races have normal dirt bikes instead of trail bikes, which are less reliable in terms of suspension and balance factors.
- These races contain riding tracks or paths which are not simple and require skills to cross. There will be creeks, mountains, rocks, and other places to climb.
- You can find a specific type of dirt bike for enduro races, which are made to last long on such difficult tracks and provide enough performance for great use.
These are the key qualities that you can find in enduro dirt biking. The races are quite typical to complete and require plenty of experience to get on these tracks. There will be lots of ups and downs to master with your balance.
Qualities of an Enduro Bike
No doubt that the change in kind of track also reflects when you look at the type of bike. You can find plenty of different in an enduro dirt bike vs. a normal trail bike. There are plenty of types and models available in the same.
However, you can look at a few of the key hallmarks to learn more about the bike type:
- The minimum power you can find in an Enduro dirt bike is often 250cc, or it will be close to 250cc. Going with more power also increases the weight, so there are very few people who prefer going with 300cc. Riding higher power is allowed in enduro races, but riders have to learn better balancing for higher weight.
- There are street legal sections which contain 500cc range. The quality of the street-legal bike is its headlight and taillight. These bikes are easy to drive, and these can be used on roads.
- There will always be a handguard on the bike, which will protect the rider’s hands from trees, branches, and other stuff while riding on mountains or in forests. There are usually hard off-road tracks in the mountain, so the rider needs such kind of protection.
- These bikes have large gas tanks so that they can get enough fuel for a long race. On the other hand, having such an amount of power in the dirt bike means higher fuel consumption, so the need for a large gas tank is quite easy to understand.
- There are skid plates that are near the bottom section of the engine for better driving experience and enhancing the skills.
- There is a specific type of tires used by the riders, and it makes a significant difference. When you are riding, you can find that tires play an important role.
- And there are many more like this.
Above mentioned are some of the major qualities that you can easily find. There are plenty of small tweaks that you can only find in the Enduro mountain bike. If you head toward the purchase of other options like a trail bike, these are all the things that won’t be in such normal bikes.
Enduro vs. Trail – Understanding the Differences
Trail dirt biking is all about taking your dirt bike to the path, which is full of difficult obstacles. The challenges are usually trees, giant rocks, trucks, uneven track, and more. There is nothing like going from one point to another, but it is all about passing through the hard obstacle paths. You can call it the equivalent of parkour, and it might make you understand the difference.
But, when you talk about Enduro mountain bike riding, then you are completely into difficult obstacles, but there will be daunting sections in terrain. There will be extremely steep roads, mountains, tracks, rocky paths, and more. People use the Enduro word for difficult paths, single tracks mainly. Well, they are pseudo enduro but having such long-distance allows you to use the Enduro word.
There is definitely a blur line difference, and this is the reason that there are terms like Extreme enduro or Hard enduro used for trail races. There are trail bikes for the normal tracks, so you can understand the difference by looking at the kind of bike used.
Usually, there are long races of around 7 hours in the enduro world. When someone accepts such a challenge, he/she focus on having an enduro dirt bike for the upcoming challenges. Enduro Motorbikes are extremely powerful and have plenty of qualities that really matter during long races.
The Final verdict
If you want to participate in off-road biking experience, which contains long distances, then it is enduro. You can get the right kind of bike for an amazing experience. Keep it in mind that you go with the well-made enduro motorbikes which have proper weight balance, enough powers, and the right kind of tires. Using the wrong type of enduro bike can make you face issues in the future, so you have to be selective for sure.
While explaining the difference, we focused on keeping it simple and short. There are other but negligible differences that you can learn while getting into this sport. Before getting started, gain some experience and keep practicing to get better at such tracks for a better riding experience for sure.